Brain Exercises – December 8

A bit of Greek

See if you can name all 24 of the letters of the Greek alphabet. For more of a challenge, try to name them in order.

Some random questions….

1. Why is a minute divided into 60 seconds and a circle into 360 degrees?

  1. What percentage of the world’s money is actually in physical currency?

  2. What is the hardiest animal on earth?

  3. Which is faster: a cheetah, a sail fish or a falcon?

  4. Would you rather get $1,000,000 today or a penny that is doubled each day for a month?

  5. Would you rather a dollar for each pound an elephant weighs or a dollar for each pound a cloud weighs?

  6. Where is a day longer than a year?

  7. Which is larger – the United States, Africa, or Antarctica?

  8. Which is more sensitive – your fingertips or your tongue?

  9. Which is the loudest land animal?

Answers

A Bit of Greek

The Greek alphabet : Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, iota, kappa, lambda, mu, nu, xi, omicron, pi, rho, sigma, tau , upsilon, phi, chi, psi, omega

To avoid a stigma against an area, the WHO changed the method of naming a variant to Greek letters. This will keep a situation from developing like it did in 1918 when the flu was named the Spanish flu, although it is very doubtful that the disease originated in Spain.

Thus, the first COVID variant, found initially in Great Britain, was labeled Alpha, rather than the Great Britain variant.

To further avoid confusion or stigma, the letter Xi was skipped because of its closeness to the name of the Chinese leader Xi JinPIng and the letter Nu was omitted to avoid confusion with the word New

Some random Questions….

  1. Because the ancient Babylonians did math in base 60 not base 10.

  2. Only 8 % of the world’s currency is actually in physical currency. The other 92% exists on computers.  Someone once said they robbed a bank because that’s where the money is.  Today, that person would have to be a hacker.

  3. A Tardigrade “water bear’ – a micro-animal 0.05 inches long. They survive temperatures from +300F to -458 F, pressure greater than those found at the bottom of the sea, they go without food and water for 30 years, and endure radiation that would fry people.  Small can be tough!

  4. A falcon. The Peregrine falcon can reach speeds of over 200 mph, making it the fastest.  A sail fish can go 68 mph, while the land-based cheetah comes in last at 61 mph. 

  5. Take the penny. Doubling its  value each day will result in more than $10,000,000 after 30 days. 

  6. Clouds are heavier. The average cumulus cloud weighs  over a million pounds, equal to the weight of about 80 elephants. Most of it is water weight.  We’re lucky we don’t drown when there is a cloud burst.

  7. On Venus. This planet rotates so slowly that it travels around the sun before it completes a rotation on its axis. 

  8. You can fit the contiguous United States, China, India and most of Europe into Africa and still have room left over.  You can also fit more than two Antarcticas into Africa. 

  9. Your fingertips for touch, your tongue for temperature. Fingertips are so sensitive that if the earth was reduced to the size of your hand, your fingertips could feel the difference between a house and a car.

  10. The Howler monkey, appropriately named.  Its howl can reach 140 decibels of sound (120 decibels can cause pain or damage to our hearing).  Other loud mouths are seals, elephants, wolves, and lions.