- Alice Stebbin Wells became the first female police officer in the US in the year ________.
- Thurgood Marshall became the first black Supreme Court judge in ______.
- The three letter expression BFF (best friend forever) was added to the dictionary in _____.
- The emergency telephone number 911 was first established in the US in ______.
- The first astronaut in space was Alan Shepard in _______.
- The Philadelphia Zoo was the first zoo in America and opened in ______.
- The song “Happy Birthday” was written by two teachers in _______.
- The first home smoke detector was invented in _____ but was not required in homes until ______.
- 9. The first recording of the human voice was by Thomas Edison in ______.
- The American Airlines became the first major airline to hire a female pilot in _______.
Try these analogies to give your brain a workout:
- RANDOM: SIMPLE :: (defacto, planned, ad hoc, tricky) : COMPLEX
- RACONTEUR: (hunt, ego, wit, cold):: OPTIMIST: HOPE
- STRANGER MYSTERY:: (kin, renegade, conformist, scapegoat): DEFIANCE
- NOUN: FREEDOM:: VERB : (mystery, from, deem, boredom)
- NIGHT:APEX::DAY : (output, callous, nadir, climax)
- MILLENNIUM :NEBULA :: MILLENNIA : (nebulous, nebular, nebulic, nebulae)
- NOUN: IMPUNITY :: VERB (noun, exemption, allow, freedom)
- ARES: (war, sun, underworld, sea):: APHRODITE : LOVE
- DAVINCI : MICHELANGELO :: ( The Thinker, sunflowers, Mona Lisa, Guernica): DAVID
- RAVEL: BOLERO :: (Beethoven, Brahms, Copland, Vivaldi) : THE FOUR SEASONS
8. 1965, 1980
- Planned. Something random is the opposite of something planned, and something simple is the opposite of something complex.
- Wit. A raconteur has wit, just as an optimist has hope.
- Renegade. A stranger has an air of mystery and a renegade has an air of defiance.
- Deem. Freedom is a noun and deem is a verb.
- Nadir. Night is the opposite of day and apex is the opposite of nadir
- Nebulae. The plural of the word Millennium is millennia. The plural of the word nebula is nebulae.
- Allow. Impunity is a noun and allow is a verb.
- War. Ares is the Greek god of war and Aphrodite is the Greek goddess of love.
- Mona Lisa. Leonardo Da Vinci created the Mona Lisa and Michelangelo created David.
- Vivaldi. Maurice Ravel created the orchestral piece Bolero and Antonio Vivaldi composed the set of concertos, The Four Seasons.